Brother Activities to reduce water consumption in different regions around the world
Enhancing efforts by setting new reduction targets
Securing safe water resources is an important environmental challenge for the global community. The Brother Group has been working to reduce water consumption to fulfill its responsibilities as an operator of manufacturing facilities in many countries and regions. In the Brother Group Environmental Action Plan 2018 (2016-2018), a target of reducing water consumption by 30% from FY2010 (April 1, 2010-March 31, 2011) levels by FY2018 (April 1, 2018-March 31, 2019) (per unit of sales) has been set, and various efforts were made to meet this target.
Brother Group's results of activities in FY2016
In FY2016 (April 1, 2016-March 31, 2017), water consumption was reduced at manufacturing facilities except for Brother Technology (Shenzhen) Ltd., and Brother Industries (Vietnam) Ltd. Total water consumption (business sites in Japan and manufacturing facilities outside Japan combined) decreased by 7,537 m3 from FY2015 (April 1, 2015-March 31, 2016). However, sales decreased due partly to the negative impact of the strong yen. In per unit sales, water consumption increased by 8.0% from FY2015, but decreased by 16.7% from FY2010.
The Brother Group remains committed to further implementing measures to save water in FY2017 (April 1, 2017-March 31, 2018) to attain new reduction targets set out in the Brother Group Environmental Action Plan 2018 (2016-2018).
Details of the Brother Group's activities in FY2016
Main activities at business sites in Japan
At business sites in Japan, efforts have been made to reduce consumption of clean water by replacing equipment and apparatuses with new ones. During the past few years, Japanese-style toilets have been replaced with Western-style toilets. It should be noted that water-saving toilets have been actively introduced. At the Kariya Manufacturing Facility, the fuel for the odor prevention system (catalyst combustion type) was changed from LPG to city gas in order to reduce the CO2 emissions in FY2013 (April 1, 2013-March 31, 2014). This eliminated the need to sprinkle water to cool the five large LPG tanks (500 kg each) on the ground, resulting in a reduction of clean water consumption.
Main activities at facilities outside Japan
Activities to reduce water consumption at manufacturing facilities outside Japan started in FY2009 (April 1, 2009-March 31, 2010). Replacement of water-cooled air conditioners with air-cooled air conditioners, advancement of activities through QC circle activities and an extensive review combined with the optimization of water for sinks and toilets, in particular, produced substantial results.
The main measures to reduce water consumption taken by respective manufacturing facilities are described below.
- Replacing the faucet valves with lever-type faucet valves that allow the water flow to be easily adjusted. Combined with the introduction of shower-type water-saving devices in faucets to reduce the water flow, this leads to reduced consumption
- Replacing water-cooled air-conditioning equipment with air-cooled inverter air conditioning equipment in line with energy conservation activities, and preventing the dispersion and evaporation of water in cooling towers to eliminate waste
- Collecting wastewater drained from central air conditioning and using this wastewater for flushing the factory toilets; Daily water consumption was reduced by 6 m3 (1,440 m3 annually)
- Improving water injection control and reducing water consumption in the coating process for sewing machine parts
- Posting the monthly water consumption results on the factory bulletin board to encourage employees to reduce water consumption (This was combined with posters for raising awareness)
- Reducing the time of the roof leak inspection on container cars (water spraying using a shower) to one minute (with a timer set up); conducting only visual inspections in the case of short-distance transport
- Collecting rainwater in a storage tank for use in cleaning up drains etc. and thereby reducing water consumption by about 20 L/month
Changes in water consumption at the Brother Group
Scope of aggregation
|Eight business sites in Japan (head office of Brother Industries, Ltd., Mizuho Manufacturing Facility, Hoshizaki Manufacturing Facility, Minato Manufacturing Facility, Momozono Manufacturing Facility, Kariya Manufacturing Facility, Research & Development Center, and Logistics Center), Brother Industries (U.K.) Ltd., Taiwan Brother Industries, Ltd., Zhuhai Brother Industries, Co., Ltd., Brother Machinery Xian Co., Ltd.,*1 Brother Industries (Shenzhen), Ltd.,*2 Brother Technology (Shenzhen) Ltd., Brother Industries Technology (M) Sdn. Bhd., Brother Industries (Vietnam) Ltd., Nissei Corporation, Mie Brother Precision Industries, Ltd., and Brother Industries (Slovakia) s.r.o.||Brother Industries Saigon, Ltd. and Brother Industries (Philippines), Inc. were added to the scope of aggregation on the left.||Brother Machinery Vietnam Co., Ltd. was added to the scope of aggregation on the left.||Same as on the left||Same as on the left|
- Brother Machinery Xian Co., Ltd. is a business site established through the merger of Xian Brother Industries, Co., Ltd. (formerly Xian Typical Brother Industries, Co., Ltd.) with Brother Sewing Machine Xian Co., Ltd. in 2010. In the same year, Brother Sewing Machine (Shanghai) Co., Ltd. transferred its business to Brother Machinery Xian Co., Ltd.
- Brother Industries (Shenzhen), Ltd. was subject to an absorption-type merger in October 2016, with Brother Technology (Shenzhen) Ltd. as the surviving company.