Brother Group's Environmental Policy
The Brother Group helps society achieve sustainable development by positively and continuously considering the environmental impact in all aspects of our business operations.
The Brother Group's mission is to place our customers first everywhere, every time, and provide them with superior value, by quickly creating and delivering high-quality products and services. To fulfill the mission, it is essential to help society achieve sustainable development, by positively and continuously considering the environmental impact in all aspects of our business operations. This is the basic philosophy of the Brother Group Environmental Policy, and is set out in the Brother Group Global Charter, originally established in 1999, that provides the foundation for all Brother Group activities in the global marketplace. The charter has been translated into 28 languages and been shared with all our employees in order to create a system that is appropriate for a global company transcending differences in culture and customs.
Guidelines and Development of environmental activities
Concern for the environment shall be the cornerstone of all operations. Safety and environmental impact shall be prime considerations at all stages of the product lifecycle to build a society capable of sustainable development.
With this as the cornerstone, we seek to deploy environmental activities in accordance with the action guidelines given below.
Development of environmental activities
1. We will set environmental targets in all areas (manufacturing, production, and service) and continuously improve their environmental aspects.
Both manufacturing and sales facilities work to acquire ISO 14001 certification, and strive to reduce environmental impact, such as reducing CO2 emissions.
2.We will recognize the importance of reducing energy consumption in all areas (manufacturing, production, and service) and strive to make energy consumption efficient and reduced in the entire Value Chain.
Improve energy-saving performance in products, energy saving at business sites, promote energy consumption reduction and efficiency, including more efficient distribution.
3.We will not limit our activities to the observation of laws and regulations in all countries where we conduct business, but will also act with a strong moral responsibility to prevent pollution and reduce environmental impact.
A rigorous management framework ensures compliance with environmental laws and regulations in respective countries, prevents oversight and omissions, and enables a quick response.
4. We will always consider waste reduction by more efficient use of resources and recycling of products, and will also avoid creating contamination by hazardous substances when designing and developing both technologies and products.
In developing products, eco-consciousness is considered in various aspects (e.g. resource conservation, use of hazardous chemical substances, and ease of recycling).
5.While respecting voluntary activities by each company of the Brother Group, we will also exercise our environmental duties as a united group.
Activities are promoted based on the Brother Group Medium-term Environmental Action Plan, which is the plan for the entire group.
6.We will enhance the environmental understanding and awareness of all employees through activities such as environmental education and PR.
Various educational opportunities are offered to enhance eco-consciousness (including training programs for new employees, technical training programs for engineers, and e-learning programs for all employees).
7. We will actively disclose our environmental efforts to our customers, local communities, and other interested parties to further foster understanding.
Proactive efforts are made to publicize Brother's activities, such as touring facilities with environmental features, participating in exhibitions, offering lessons at elementary schools and other educational institutions, and planting seedlings.
8.We will endeavor to reduce our impact on the ecosystem and to conserve biodiversity in all our operations.
Biodiversity conservation activities include the procurement of biodiversity-conscious raw materials and the use of FSC-certified paper. Projects for the restoration/conservation of forests or other natural habitats are promoted.
Brother Group's Biodiversity Conservation Policy
To help build a sustainable society, the Brother Group will endeavor to reduce the impact of its operations on biodiversity and ensure biodiversity conservation through environmental and social contribution activities.
Challenges in management
- The Brother Group recognizes biodiversity conservation as an important challenge for corporate survival, and works on environmental management.
- The Brother Group identifies the impact of all its operations (including procurement of raw materials) on biodiversity, and constantly endeavors to reduce the impact.
- The Brother Group gathers information and acquires technologies regarding conservation and sustainable use of biodiversity, and promotes technological development.
Social contribution activities
- The Brother Group works on biodiversity conservation activities in collaboration with stakeholders including government organizations, local residents, and NGOs.
Activities involving all employees
- Actions are led by top management, and measures are taken throughout the company to help all employees increase their knowledge about biodiversity and encourage them to work voluntarily on conservation activities.
- Details of activities are actively disclosed in and outside the company to raise awareness of biodiversity conservation activities.
Environmental Slogan "Brother Earth"
To boost our environmental activities, the Brother Group created the "Brother Earth" logo and slogan in 2010 to symbolize our efforts. Under Brother Earth, each Brother Group employee has been further committed to various activities based on a unified message of "Working with you for a better environment."
In 2012, the Brother Group Principles of Social Responsibility were established to define the responsibilities that group companies are expected to assume and the fundamental concept of action for environmental conservation.
Brother SDGs STORY, a special website on SDGs activities, introduces Brother Group's environmental conservation activities under this slogan.
"5R" Concept - the Key to Reducing Environmental Impact
From 1999, the Brother Group has been conducting environmental activities based on the "5Rs," which adds "Refuse" and "Reform" to the 3Rs of "Reduce," "Reuse" and "Recycle" as the basis for establishing a sound material-cycle society. "Reform" in particular is an original idea from the Brother Group for creating value by introducing novel approaches and ideas for changing the state of a waste material.
- Refuse: Avoid purchase of environmentally burdensome materials whenever possible
- Reduce: Reduce waste material
- Reuse: Reuse waste material without processing
- Reform: Reuse materials in a different form
- Recycle: Reuse materials as resources
This is a special website which introduces Brother's SDGs activities.
Brother SDGs STORY "Click for the Earth" is an environmental conservation activity that Brother conducts together with you.