Brother Group Environmental Vision 2050
Formulated on March 19, 2018 and revised on January 24, 2022
"The Brother Group Environmental Vision 2050" recognizes the key social issues of climate change, resource depletion, environmental pollution, and destruction of the ecosystem as business risks for the Brother Group and clearly states the group's continuous commitment toward solving these issues over the long term as a company that uses energy and resources to provide products using bio-based items such as paper, thread and cloth.
Three key issues undertaken by the Brother Group
Reduction of CO2 emissions
The vision aims to support the Paris Agreement and contribute toward creating a carbon-free society with zero greenhouse gas emissions.
Medium-term target for FY2030: 65% reduction from FY2015
- [Scopes 1 and 2] Achieve 65% reduction from the FY2015 level
- [Scope 3] Categories 1, 11, and 12 Achieve 30% reduction from the FY2015 level
- The medium-term target for FY2030 has been recognized as a target based on scientific evidence by the Science Based Targets (SBT) initiative, an international initiative established to help achieve greenhouse gas emission reduction targets.
2050 Vision: Contribution for decarbonized society
The Brother Group will aim to achieve carbon neutrality* in all business operations and minimize CO2 emissions from the entire value chain by 2050 so as to contribute toward creating a carbon-free society.
- Achieve overall zero CO2 emissions from the Brother Group
Main efforts: Introduction of solar power generation, renewal of air conditioning facilities, renewal and adoption of energy-saving for production facilities, etc.
The vision aims to ensure sustainable use of resources in business operations and minimize the environmental impact due to wastes.
Medium-term target for FY2030: Reduction in use of virgin materials
- Reduce the ratio of virgin materials used in products*1 to 65% or less*2 by FY2030 through the expansion of circular-economy-based businesses and materials recycling.
- The group's manufacturing facilities continuously endeavor to ensure efficient use of water resources and proper treatment of wastewater.
- 1: Including packaging materials
- 2: Applies to the Printing and Solutions Business, Personal and Home Business, and Machinery Business
2050 Vision: Maximize resource circulation
Toward 2050, the Brother Group will maximize resource circulation to ensure the sustainable use of resources and to minimize the environmental impact due to wastes.
Main efforts: Expansion of cyclical businesses, reuse of products and parts, use of recycled materials, etc.
The vision aims to minimize the environmental impact of business operations and promote activities to restore and conserve the ecosystem beyond the impact.
Medium-term target for FY2030: Reduction of environmental impact on the ecosystem
- The Brother Group assesses the environmental impact of its business operations on the ecosystem and the effectiveness of restoration and conservation activities, and works to avoid and reduce the environmental impact on the ecosystem.
- The manufacturing and sales facilities of the entire group work on ecosystem restoration and conservation activities on a voluntary basis depending on the situation in each region.
2050 Vision: Positive net gain for biodiversity
By 2050, the Brother Group will minimize the environmental impact of business operations on the ecosystem and promote activities to restore and conserve the ecosystem beyond the impact.
Main efforts: Biodiversity conservation activities, reduction of CO2 emissions, and promotion of resource circulation