Brother Group Environmental Vision 2050 formulated
Toward 2050, the Brother Group will maximize its resource recycling to ensure sustainable use of natural resources and minimize the environmental impact caused by waste.
In March 2018, the Brother Group formulated the Brother Group Environmental Vision 2050 as a new long-term target of the Brother Group to contribute to resolving global environmental issues under the slogan “Brother Earth,” and established a mid-term target for FY2030 as a milestone.
Mid-term target for FY2030
Mechanisms for recycling resources have been established throughout the value chain. Efforts have been made to reduce the amount of new natural resources that are used in main products.
The group’s manufacturing facilities continuously endeavor to ensure efficient use of water resources and proper treatment of wastewater.
- An excerpt from the Brother Group Environmental Vision 2050
Building a recycling framework
Ensuring activities to curb waste generation and emissions
To help use resources effectively and prevent resource depletion, the Brother Group ensures activities are carried out to curb waste generation, reduce emissions, and achieve "zero landfill waste" (meaning that less than 1% of waste generated at factories is sent to landfill). In our operations, respective business sites follow the ISO 14001 framework (under which they are certified) and the waste management manual, thereby systematically and continuously working to reduce waste.
In FY2003 (April 1, 2003-March 31, 2004 for business sites in Japan; and January 1, 2003-December 31, 2003 for facilities outside Japan), manufacturing facilities outside Japan and business sites in Japan started to share waste data using a common format. In FY2016 (April 1, 2016-March 31, 2017), a new system was introduced to monitor the overall status involving main sales facilities in and outside Japan. Commitment to the activities mentioned above helps avoid the risks of damage to the brand image due to noncompliance such as illegal dumping and violation of the WEEE Directives in Europe. Proper separation helps ensure effective utilization of resources and reduce the waste treatment cost.
Results of the Brother Group’s activities in FY2017
Nissei Corporation, which treated waste fluids properly for release into a river, commissioned the process to a waste treatment contractor. Meanwhile, the production volume at the Kariya Manufacturing Facility and Brother Industries (Vietnam) Ltd. increased. Thus, the amount of waste generated increased.
From the viewpoint of effective utilization of resources, all the manufacturing facilities (except for Brother Industries (Philippines), Inc. which started production in 2013 and Brother Machinery Vietnam Co., Ltd. (BMV) which started production in 2014) and business sites in Japan maintained zero landfill waste.
All the manufacturing facilities (except for Brother Industries (Philippines), Inc. which started production in 2013 and Brother Machinery Vietnam Co., Ltd. (BMV) which started production in 2014) and business sites in Japan maintained zero landfill waste.
Details of the Brother Group's activities in FY2017
Main activities at business sites in Japan
In FY2001 (April 1, 2001-March 31, 2002), the Brother Group's business sites in Japan achieved zero landfill waste, and work is continuing to prevent the generation of landfill waste at business sites.
Main zero waste activities at business sites in Japan
- Promoting the material recycling of plastics such as polyethylene (PE) and polypropylene (PP) used as packaging materials
- Turning food waste from the cafeterias of the Mizuho Manufacturing Facility and Hoshizaki Manufacturing Facility, which have large kitchen equipment, into compost through a specialized collection contractor; recycling waste edible oil as biofuel and using it in the logistics division within the group
- Changing the disposal method of products returned by customers as industrial waste processing to processing as valuable commodities for material recycling
- Processing corrugated fiberboard used as a cushioning material and reusing it as packing material for shipping service parts
- Launching a website for exchanging information to promote the reuse of furniture and furnishings between divisions to contribute to reducing waste and cutting the purchase cost
Main activities at business sites outside Japan
Focusing on waste generation, all the manufacturing facilities worked to reduce and recycle waste and achieve zero landfill waste. Major sales facilities also worked toward obtaining/maintaining ISO 14001 certification and promoting waste reduction activities.
Main zero waste activities at manufacturing facilities outside Japan
- Separating chips contaminated with water-soluble cutting fluid (emulsified liquid) which was disposed of as industrial waste into water-soluble cutting fluid and chips, in order to reuse the water-soluble cutting fluid and sell the chips (compressed into solids) to recyclers as valuable commodities
- Significantly reducing waste paper by replacing application documents with electronic files at manufacturing facilities, reducing paper consumption in printing tests for printers, etc.
- Significantly reducing packaging-related waste by reducing consumption (e.g., replacing packaging boxes for parts with returnable containers and increasing the density of parts packaged in innovative packaging styles)
- Improving collection boxes for used printer cartridges and upgrading skills to repair scratches on the resin case surfaces, to improve the refurbishment rate for toner cartridges and to address waste generation
- Promoting reuse of production equipment to reduce waste
- Reducing the consumption of the degreasing agent for coating and cleaning parts and thereby reduce waste fluid
Main zero waste activities at sales facilities outside Japan
- Acquiring ISO 14001 certification at main sales facilities, and promoting waste reduction activities
- Ensuring separation of waste by type, and raising awareness about zero waste activities
- Having separated waste appropriately recycled by a specialized contractor to effectively utilize resources
- Having waste electronic appliances (brought by employees from their homes) properly processed by contractors, and promoting recycling and raising employees' environmental awareness
Changes in waste volume of the Brother Group
- It was found that the recycled amount for the past fiscal years included incineration of waste without energy recovery when aggregating the results for FY2016. The amount cannot be determined retrospectively. Thus, the amount is reported from FY2015 and FY2016.
Scope of aggregation
|Eight business sites in Japan (head office of Brother Industries, Ltd., Mizuho Manufacturing Facility, Hoshizaki Manufacturing Facility, Minato Manufacturing Facility,*1 Momozono Manufacturing Facility, Kariya Manufacturing Facility, Research & Development Center, and Logistics Center), Brother Industries (U.K.) Ltd., Taiwan Brother Industries, Ltd., Zhuhai Brother Industries, Co., Ltd., Brother Machinery Xian Co., Ltd.,*2 Brother Industries (Shenzhen), Ltd.,*3 Brother Technology (Shenzhen) Ltd., Brother Industries Technology (M) Sdn. Bhd.,*4 Brother Industries (Vietnam) Ltd., Mie Brother Precision Industries, Ltd., and Brother Industries (Slovakia) s.r.o. , Brother Industries Saigon, Ltd., Brother Industries (Philippines), Inc., and Nissei Corporation||Brother Machinery Vietnam Co., Ltd. was added to the scope of aggregation on the left.|
- The Minato Manufacturing Facility stopped production on September 30, 2017.
- Brother Machinery Xian Co., Ltd. is a business site established through the merger of Xian Brother Industries, Co., Ltd. (formerly Xian Typical Brother Industries, Co., Ltd.) with Brother Sewing Machine Xian Co., Ltd. in 2010. In the same year, Brother Sewing Machine (Shanghai) Co., Ltd. transferred its business to Brother Machinery Xian Co., Ltd.
- Brother Industries (Shenzhen), Ltd. was subject to an absorption-type merger in October 2016, with Brother Technology (Shenzhen) Ltd. as the surviving company.
- Brother Industries Technology (M) Sdn. Bhd. terminated its business operations on March 31, 2017.