With the establishment of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)*1, the Paris Agreement (an international agreement for mitigating climate change), and the Corporate Governance Code*2 in 2015, the world began to take steady steps toward achieving a sustainable society.
On the other hand, climate change risk continues to make it unclear what changes could happen in the world and when and where, while the effects of COVID-19 are also increasing uncertainty.
Even under these circumstances, we are aiming for management that will create social value through our business under the spirit of "At your side.", which places the highest priority on customers in all situations.
As a company that uses energy and resources and provides products that use materials derived from living things, such as paper, thread, and cloth, the Brother Group has formulated the Brother Group Environmental Vision 2050. This environmental vision recognizes that, in 2018, important social issues—climate change, resource depletion, environmental pollution, and destruction of the ecosystem—are business risks and clearly states the Brother Group’s continuous commitment to solving these issues over the long term. Subsequently, in view of the accelerating trend toward a sustainable society, the targets for the reduction of CO2 emissions in the environmental vision were revised in FY2021. We aim to achieve carbon neutrality*3 in all business operations and minimize CO2 emissions from the entire value chain by FY2050. At the same time, for the mid-term 2030 target which serves as a milestone, we have set targets to achieve 65% reduction from the FY2015 level for the Brother Group’s overall CO2 emissions (Scopes 1 and 2), and 30% reduction from the FY2015 level for CO2 emissions from the stages of procurement, use, and disposal in the value chain (categories 1, 11, and 12 of Scope 3).
In our history of more than 110 years, the Brother Group has continued to provide a variety of products matching customer needs and the changes of the times. To ensure that we are not afraid of change and continue delivering superior value as a manufacturing company while reducing our environmental impact, it is essential for us to collaborate with our business partners. In January 2019, the Brother Group joined the Responsible Business Alliance*4, a global industry organization promoting corporate social responsibility through building a sustainable supply chain, and in February 2020 became a signatory to the United Nations (UN) Global Compact*5. As the head of the management team, I am committed to reevaluating our business operations in terms of the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) toward achieving a sustainable society. In addition, I will make utmost efforts to enable the Brother Group to gather our technologies and knowledge toward continuing to provide products and services that solve social issues.
Representative Director & President
Brother Industries, Ltd.
- The international community's common aim, consisting of 17 goals and 169 targets, adopted by world leaders at a UN summit held in September 2015.
- Guiding principle for corporate governance that defines the code of conduct that must be followed by listed corporations.
- Achieve overall zero CO2 emissions from the Brother Group
- The Responsible Business Alliance has established a code of conduct made up of five sections, including the environment, and actively promotes conformity to this code and various standards.
- A voluntary pact to encourage corporations and other organizations worldwide to act as good citizens of society and to participate in a global framework for achieving sustainable growth by demonstrating responsible and creative leadership. The UN Global Compact asks its members to abide by and practice the Ten Principles consisting of four areas, including the environment.
- Click the link above to read a press release.